Plastic Surgeon Bel Air, Maryland
Breast augmentation and tummy tuck procedures are chosen by hundreds of thousands of American women each year. The two surgeries can be combined in a “Mommy Makeover” to help mothers restore their pre-pregnancy body.
Dr. Brent Birely, a board-certified physician who is one of the most accomplished cosmetic surgeons in the state offers these services to women in the Bel Air, Maryland area. Drawing upon decades of experience and bringing meticulous attention to detail and an eye for beauty to his work, Dr. Birely can help you achieve the transformation you desire.
How is Breast Augmentation Done?
In a breast augmentation procedure, saline or silicone implants are surgically placed in the breast, either under or over muscle. The implants can increase the size and fullness of breasts and can also bring about improvements in their shape.
An examination and consultation with Dr. Birely, one of the leading surgeon's performing breast augmentation Bel Air has to offer, will give you an opportunity to fully describe your goals for breast surgery and to discuss the options for attaining them. His extensive experience will serve you well in this process, and you’ll even be able to see photographs of past cases that can help you visualize what to expect from your surgery.
What Do Patients Choose Breast Augmentation?
Some women have had life-long considerations that their natural breasts do not give them the feminine contours that they desire, or even prevent their clothes from fitting properly. Others feel that time has brought changes that they would like to reverse if possible. The issues that breast augmentation can address include:
- Augmenting the size of breasts that you feel are too small
- Improving the symmetry of breasts that are noticeably dissimilar
- Restoring the shape of breasts that have changed following pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Returning fullness to breasts that have shrunk following significant weight loss
- Restoring youthful fullness to breasts that have changed over time as part of the normal consequences of aging
Are There Any Age Restrictions?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA has set age requirements for the two types of implants:
- To receive saline implants, women must be at least 18 years old.
- To receive silicone implants, women must be at least 22 years old.
What Can I Expect During Recovery?
Recovery from breast augmentation should not be difficult, but every individual responds differently to any form of surgery. There are some events you can expect, however.
- You will be away from work for a week following your surgery.
- For two or three days after your surgery, you will experience some amount of pain, bruising and swelling.
- During the first week after your surgery, you will be advised to avoid strenuous activity.
- You will need to refrain from lifting, pulling or pushing heavy objects for two weeks.
- After about a month, you will be able to resume light exercise.
- After six weeks, you should be able to resume your regular activities.
Dr. Birely will be able to guide you through the process and make specific recommendations based on your general health, your progress during the recovery period, your exercise habits, etc.
Will I Be Able to Breastfeed After Implants?
Breast augmentation surgery does not automatically prevent you from being able to breastfeed if you have a child. It can make breastfeeding more difficult, and the specific nature of your procedure can potentially affect your ability to produce milk.
The best way to answer this question is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Birely. His experience with thousands of cases, combined with understanding of what you would like to achieve through your surgery, will give you the insight you need.
If it’s possible to postpone your surgery until you are done with childbearing, that will enable you to avoid any potential breastfeeding issues. It will also increase your ability to ensure that you retain the results from your surgery.
How Can a Tummy Tuck Help Me?
If you are troubled by excess fat and skin in the abdomen that can’t be remedied by exercise and diet, a tummy tuck has the potential to give you the toned and smooth appearance you desire. It is an appealing option for several types of patients:
- Patients who have experienced one or more pregnancies and, as a result, have stretched and saggy skin in the abdominal area
- Patients who have gained and lost significant amounts of weight, first stretching their skin and then finding that it sags after the weight is lost
- Patients who have worked hard on diet and exercise, but have still been unable to achieve the look they desire
How Does a Tummy Tuck Work?
The procedure is straightforward, with variations according to the area that you are addressing through the surgery.
- If you have a “pooch belly” or loose skin and stretch marks below the belly button, the surgeon will make an incision above the pubic mound, then remove excess skin and tighten muscles in the area. This is referred to as a “mini” tummy tuck.
- If you want to eliminate unwanted roundness or excess skin both above and below the belly button, a slightly larger incision may be needed and possibly a second incision around the navel. Again, excess skin will be removed and muscles tightened. This is known as a “full” tummy tuck,
- The appearance of the upper and lower abdomen and flanks can be accomplished through an “extended” tummy tuck. The procedure is the same, but a longer incision will be required.
What About Recovery?
You can expect to feel sore for a week or so following your surgery. You’ll be able to return to work after two to four weeks.
If you have a desk job, you’ll be able to return to it within a shorter time period. If your work involves strenuous physical activity, lifting, etc., you’ll need to be away longer. With Dr. Birely you will be in some of the most capable surgeons who provide tummy tuck Bel Air has, monitor your progress and guide you.
Is a Tummy Tuck What I Need?
There are some situations when a tummy tuck might not be your best “next step.” These include:
- Upon reflection, you realize you may be able to achieve your goal through less-invasive weight loss strategies.
- You are not done with child bearing.
- You have a history of significant weight fluctuation and can’t be sure you won’t return to bad habits even after surgery.
Why Dr. Birely?
Cosmetic surgery involves both technical know-how and artistry. You won’t get the results you want unless you choose a surgeon who has both.
Dr. Birely has performed more than 5,000 procedures over more than 20 years in practice. He is a board-certified specialist in this field and his work is informed by a deep understanding of muscle, skin and tissue structure that can only come from years of experience. He is known for exceptional results and the kindness and compassion with which he treats his patients.