Breast augmentation and tummy tucks are some of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures today, with thousands of American women choosing to receive them each year. It’s not uncommon for women who have had children and wish to regain their pre-pregnancy body to choose to have both as part of a Mommy Makeover.
Dr. Brent Birely offers patients mommy makeovers in Lutherville with beautiful, natural-looking results. An experienced and skilled surgeon with the skills of a true artist, he is an ideal partner to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
What Does Breast Augmentation Involve?
Breast augmentation procedures are designed to increase the size and fullness of breasts and to improve their shape. This is accomplished by surgically placing saline or silicone implants in the breast, either under or over the muscle.
Why Have a Breast Augmentation Surgery?
There are a number of reasons you might consider breast augmentation, including:
- A feeling that your breasts are too small.
- Your breasts are noticeably asymmetrical and you would like to correct this.
- Your breasts have shrunk after significant weight loss.
- Your breasts have changed shape following pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- You are unhappy with the way that your breasts have changed as you have aged.
The type of implant to be used and the placement of the implant will be determined through a consultation with Dr. Birely, including a discussion of the outcome you wish to achieve from the procedure.
Is There an Age Requirement for Breast Augmentation?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved saline implants for women 18 years old and older. Silicone implants are approved by the FDA for women 22 years of age and older.
How Long Does Recovery Take?
As is the case in any surgical procedure, the recovery process will be different for each patient. You should plan to be away from work for one week. Following your surgery, pain, bruising and swelling may occur for two or three days. You should avoid strenuous activity for the first week, and you should not lift, push or pull heavy objects for two weeks.
When Can I Exercise Again?
Light exercise can be resumed about four weeks after your surgery. It’s a good idea to consult with your surgeon regarding your specific exercise plans, to ensure that you don’t interfere with the healing process.
You should be able to resume your regular activities after six weeks.
Is it Better to Have the Implant Over or Under Muscle?
The answer to this question varies from individual to individual. A decision will be made based on such considerations as your cosmetic goals, the thickness of your skin, your wishes regarding recovery time
Can I Breastfeed After Augmentation?
There’s a good chance that you will be able to nurse your baby, though it could be somewhat more difficult after your surgery. If you are able to wait until you are not planning to have any more children, you can avoid any possible issues.
Your ability to produce milk can potentially be affected by the placement of the implant. Your surgeon can explain this possibility to you and it can be factored into your decisions about your procedure.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat and skin to create a firmer abdomen and a toned and smooth appearance. It can be an effective way to address a number of issues:
- You have had a baby and your muscles and skin are stretched and saggy.
- You have lost a considerable amount of weight and you have excess skin hanging.
- Despite determined efforts to watch your diet and to exercise regularly, you are still unhappy with the appearance of your abdomen.
What Does the Surgery Involve?
Tummy tuck surgery varies according to the issues you are hoping to address, for example:
- A “pooch” or stretch marks and loose skin below the belly button: This is addressed by a “mini” tummy tuck. An incision is made above the pubic mound and surgeon removes excess skin and tightens muscles in the area.
- Roundness or excess skin both above and below the belly button: This can be remedied by a “full” tummy tuck. Again, an incision will be made above the pubic mound. A second incision may be made be around the navel.
- Sagging or excess skin around the front of your body: An “extended” tummy tuck can tighten the upper and lower abdomen as well as the flanks. This requires a longer incision.
What is Tummy Tuck Recovery Like?
It’s normal to be sore for a week or so after your surgery. You should be able to return to week within two to four weeks, depending on the nature of your job and whether it involves strenuous activities such as lifting.
Can I Have a Tummy Tuck if I Plan to Have Another Child?
If you’re planning to have more children, it’s a good idea to wait to have a tummy tuck. If you’re planning to start a weight loss program, you should do that first and see if that will help you reach your goals.
If you are not confident that you can continue healthy habits after your surgery, you may want to hold off until you have this certainty. The surgery won’t protect you against the consequences of future weight gain.
Why Choose Dr. Birely?
The standards for cosmetic procedures are well-established, but the outcome of your surgery is directly influenced by the experience and training that your surgeon brings to the table. Dr. Birely is a board-Certified plastic surgeon who has performed more than 5,000 procedures over more than 20 years in practice.
He has developed an understanding of muscle, skin and tissue structure. Combining this with his eye for beauty, he is able to achieve results that are natural and fresh, achieving harmony and balance and bringing out the best in you. Throughout the course of your treatment, you’ll be treated with kindness, compassion and professionalism.