Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tucks in Towson, Maryland
Each year, hundreds of thousands of American women choose to undergo breast augmentation and tummy tuck procedures. Often, they choose both procedures in a comprehensive “Mommy Makeover” after pregnancy, to restore the firm, fit appearance they had before bearing children.
Patients in the Towson, Maryland area who are interested in these procedures have the good fortune to have access to one of the state’s most accomplished cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Brent Birely. Dr. Birely brings both decades of experience and the eye of an artist to every procedure.
How Does Breast Augmentation Work?
Cosmetic procedures have helped millions of women increase the size and fullness of their breasts, or to improve their shape. This is accomplished by surgically placing saline or silicone implants in the breast, either under or over muscle.
A consultation with Dr. Birely will enable him to understand your aesthetic goals, show you before and after results from past patients, and help you decide the best path forward in your case.
Why Do People Choose Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation can bring a major boost in self-confidence and happiness to women who are unhappy with the appearance of their breasts. Common concerns include:
- Breasts that are noticeably asymmetrical
- Breasts that are too small
- Breasts have changed shape as a result of pregnancy can breast feeding
- Significant weight loss has caused breasts to shrink
- Dissatisfaction with the changes in the appearance of breasts that have occurred as a natural consequence of aging
How Old Do I Have to Be?
As medical devices, breast implants are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA has set the following age requirements:
- Saline implants are approved for women 18 years old and older.
- Silicone implants are approved for women 22 years of age and older.
What is Recovery Like?
The exact nature of the recovery process can vary from person to person. Here are some general guidelines:
- Plan to be away from work for one week.
- You can expect some degree of pain, bruising and swelling may occur for two or three days after your surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activity for the first week.
- Do not lift, push or pull heavy objects for two weeks.
- Light exercise can be resumed about four weeks after your surgery.
- You should be able to resume your regular activities after six weeks.
You’ll be able to communicate with Dr. Birely throughout the recovery period and receive any additional guidance you need regarding what you can and can’t do at any stage.
What About Breastfeeding?
As noted earlier, pregnancy and breastfeeding can alter the appearance of your breasts. To ensure that you retain the results from your surgery as long as possible, you may want to consider waiting until you are done with childbearing for your procedure.
However, breast augmentation does not necessarily prevent you from being able to breastfeed, though it might make it more difficult than it would be otherwise. The most complete answer to this question can only come after a consultation with Dr. Birely, and will be affected by factors including the specific surgical approach you have chosen.
About Tummy Tucks
A tummy tuck removes excess fat and skin to create a firmer abdomen and a toned and smooth appearance. This surgery can bring dramatic improvements to persons troubled by issues including:
- Inability to achieve an acceptably toned abdomen despite focused attention to diet and exercise
- Stretched and saggy skin resulting from pregnancy
- Stretched or saggy skin caused by significant weight gain followed by weight loss
What Does the Surgeon Do?
The exact steps that the surgeon takes will be determined by the issues you are hoping to address.
- A “mini” tummy tuck addresses a saggy belly or loose skin and stretch marks below the belly button: These can be treated successfully with what is termed a “mini” tummy tuck. The surgeon makes an incision above the pubic mound, removes excess skin and tightens muscles in the area.
- A “full” tummy tuck is done to remedy roundness or excess skin both above and below the belly button. As in the mini tummy tuck, an incision will be made above the pubic mound, and a second incision may be made be around the navel.
- The upper and lower abdomen and the flanks can be tightened by an “extended” tummy tuck. This procedure requires a longer incision.
Recovering from a Tummy Tuck
After your surgery, you will be sore for a week or so. Within two to four weeks you’ll be able to return to work.
The return time will be shorter if you have a desk job, and longer if your work involves lifting or other strenuous activities.
Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me?
You may want to think twice about this procedure in certain situations, for example:
- You’re intending to have more children.
- You’re planning to embark on a serious effort to lose weight.
Why Choose Dr. Birely?
You’re considering cosmetic surgery because you want to improve your appearance. Your ability to end up with the result that you have imagined is literally in the hands of the surgeon that you choose.
Dr. Birely, a board-Certified plastic surgeon, has performed more than 5,000 procedures during more than 20 years in practice. During this time, he has developed an understanding of muscle, skin and tissue structure that enables him to achieve natural and aesthetically pleasing results that bring out the best in you. Throughout your treatment, you’ll be treated with compassion and kindness.